Thursday 9 June 2016

Review #20: Dewars White Label Blended Scotch Whisky

Here's a cheap scotch blend, the cheapest available at the time of purchase and Oh Dear!!!!
I've prematurely deleted my lovely photos :-(
Oh Well! 

Price: $32Au very cheap stuff but is it worth buying? Yes. It is. 6/6

Availability: The first time I tried this was on a plane! This is available the world over I'd say. Apparently this is the top selling scotch in the US! This stuff is everywhere, pubs, good bottle-shops, bad bottle-shops, planes, probably trains.... 6/6

Marketing: Something is wrong with the audio on the videos they have on their website or I need new speakers for my PC!... no my speakers are fine! There's a bunch of videos but I don't know what they are about because I can't hear what's being said! These guys have been around for a long time and they know it but they don't bang on about it too much as far as I can tell... 3/6

Bottle/Label: Attractive label, plain not too flashy. It has a serial number to let you know it's the real thing! It has a royal warrant to Queen Elizabeth II. It lets me know that it's bottled at 40% - the legal minimum for scotch whisky. The label tells me this is made from a selection of up to 40 different whiskies, malt and grain, aged in oak and blended together. There's something about medals and gold and some interesting designs on the glass with a triscellion (a celtic symbol - I think) and some medals from the late 1800's. It's a cheap blend without any BS? Not pretending to be anything that it isn't - ok! There is no explanation anywhere of the medals or gold, no age statement, it's probably three years old - again the legal minimum for scotch whisky, it probably has caramel added but doesn't say so... 3/6

Looks: light yellow gold, very little caramel added here, legs are forming on the glass far apart and lingering a little longer than I would have expected hmmm: 6/6

Nose: honey, caramel sweetness with cheap scotch smell probably corn whiskey... fading to reveal some grain and cereal notes, not offensive but not particularly interesting, there's a hint of marzipan in there too: 13/20

Taste on entry: not much! light sweetness, hint of green grapes, touch of anise 13/20

Mouthfeel: not bad actually! Better than I expected, it coats the mouth nicely, gently and has a pleasant velvety feel to it: 7/10

Finish: sweet citrus coming through with some gentle spice and wood, touch of mint, dry, medium to long and pleasant enough: 15/20

This whiskey is not bad for a budget daily dram, pleasant to drink, nothing off in the nose or taste but nothing exciting happening, easy going stuff, quite drinkable actually.

Total score 72/100

Cheers,
Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment